Patient-focused and Progressive
At Cayuga Health System, we want your surgical experience to be as safe, comfortable, and stress-free as possible. From your pre-admission testing to the time of your discharge, we will do our utmost to meet your individual needs and honor your preferences.
When it comes to your surgery, Cayuga Health System offers the most comprehensive health-care team in the region. From our board-certified and fellowship trained surgeons to our state-of-the-art imaging services to our full-service laboratory, and board-certified physical therapists, we are dedicated to helping you heal.
We are clinically linked to some of the finest tertiary-care centers in the country, including Roswell Park Cancer Institute, the Sands- Constellation Heart Institute at Rochester General Hospital (a Cleveland Clinic Heart Surgery Center), the University of Rochester Medical Center, Mayo Medical Laboratories, and Weill Cornell Medical College.
Our comprehensive Surgical Services specialties and Designated Centers
Cayuga Health System offers a broad range of inpatient and outpatient surgery and specialized procedures. We do this so that you can stay close to home when you require special care. Having family and friends nearby for love and support is important to your recovery.
Our Surgical Specialties
Our general surgery specialists take care of patients requiring:
- Treatment for injuries from traumatic accidents
- Surgery for all types of cancer (breast, colon, lung, etc.)
- Thoracic (chest) surgery, major and minor abdominal procedures, including digestive tract, biliary tract (liver, gallbladder, pancreas) and hernias
- Vascular surgery on the circulatory system (arteries and veins)
- Endocrine system procedures (thyroid and parathyroid glands that produce the body’s hormones)
- Skin and soft tissue surgery
All of our general surgeons sub-specialize within their field, advancing their skills in areas such as:
- Laparoscopic (minimally invasive) abdominal surgery and hernia repair
- Thyroid and parathyroid procedures
- Tissue-conserving breast-cancer surgery
- Vascular surgery (to open up blockages in the carotid and aortic arteries, bypass surgery for arterial obstructions in the legs, and for repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms)
- Phlebology (including minimally-invasive varicose vein surgery)
- Nissenfundoplication (for heartburn)
- Bariatric surgery (to treat morbid obesity)
- Fast-track colorectal and intestinal surgery
Our ENT and Head and Neck surgeons treat a wide range of acute and chronic problems, involving both illness and congenital conditions, such as:
- Severe snoring and obstructive sleep apnea
- Functional endoscopic sinus surgery or FESS (to treat chronic sinus infections)
- Microlaryngoscopic surgery (to repair damaged vocal cords)
- Removal of tonsils and adenoids
- Myringotomy and tubes (to drain fluid from the ear)
- Septoplasty (to improve breathing)
- Tympanoplasty (to repair eardrum injuries)
- Bronchoscopy (to diagnose congenital malformations of the trachea and larynx, and to remove foreign bodies)
- Parathyroid surgery
Fellowship-trained reconstructive and orthopedic surgeons perform hand surgery at Cayuga Health System. Powerful surgical microscopes enable them to repair the delicate bones, tendons, ligaments, and nerves located in the hands and wrists:
- Hand injuries resulting from traumatic accident
- Sports-related injuries
- Wrist joint arthroscopy for injuries due to trauma or repetitive motion
- Endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery to relieve nerve compression
- Reconstruction and replacement of painful arthritic joints
The gastroenterologists at Cayuga Health System are at the leading edge of their field of specialty. They diagnose and treat digestive tract problems including swallowing difficulties, stomach ailments, liver disease, and problems affecting the intestines and colon. In their work, gastroenterologists use a narrow, flexible tube with a light source and a tiny video camera at its tip. This is inserted into the body, giving a detailed look inside the digestive tract.
We offer comprehensive video-endoscopy services at both the medical center and at Surgicare, on the Convenient Care Campus at Ithaca, including both EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) and colonoscopy.
Additional diagnostic modalities include:
- esophageal manometry
- 24-hour wireless esophageal pH testing for diagnosing gastroesophageal reflux disease (known as GERD or heartburn)
- capsule endoscopy to identify diseases of the small intestine, which are typically difficult to diagnose using radiologic or endoscope technologies
- biliary endoscopy
Sports medicine physicians specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal injuries experienced by physically active people of all ages. Our clients range from people who simply want to become fit all the way to elite endurance athletes who are looking to improve their performances. Sports medicine doctors are knowledgeable about chronic diseases that impact athletic performance, such as asthma and diabetes, and they are experts in injury prevention. At CMA Sports Medicine and Athletic Performance, we are actively engaged in the lives of community athletes both in Ithaca and Cortland.
Orthopedists specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of injuries and disorders of the skeletal system and associated joints, muscles, and ligaments. Sports injuries, broken bones, dislocated joints, torn ligaments, joint replacement surgery, minimally invasive joint revision, trauma and fracture surgery for accident victims all fall within the domain of orthopedic specialists. The physicians at Orthopedic Services of CMA address all types of musculoskeletal injuries, both surgical and nonsurgical. A number of us have extensive sports medicine experience. In addition to general orthopedics, our areas of subspecialty expertise include surgery of the foot and ankle, hand, wrist, elbow, shoulder, and joint replacement. We see patients in Ithaca, Cortland, and at Schuyler Hospital.
1301 Trumansburg Road Suite E
Ithaca, NY 14850
Fax: (607) 273-1101
220 Steuben Street
Montour Falls, NY 14865
Fax: (607) 273-1101
10 Arrowwood Drive
Ithaca, New York 14850